Friday, March 6, 2009

Buen día!

Hola!! It's been raining here in Entre Rios the past several days. They hate here it but I love it! The mountains are covered in white mist and it's cold! Nothing like coming out to the market and getting a hot empanada when it's cold!




Walking back from church *thanks mom for making me bring the ugly rain jacket :) It was a lifesaver. And the double pillow cases. And all the zip lock bags...:) You were right.

Nice lady and her empanada stand. Amazingly good!

I met these two girls while eating!


English classes are going great and keeping me busy. I just had another class added of youth. I've been able to communicate with everyone in Spanish a lot more -- more than, "Hey, how are you? Good... Good! OK, bye!" :) So that's been nice! I now have friends around town at the internet, bank, market... It's been great building relationships with them.
The last couple days I have picked Abby and Joas up from their mom's work in the afternoon and have taken them to the park by the soccer field. It's been a blast! As soon as we get there Joas introduces me to all the kids as his gringita from the United States. I´ve gotten to know a lot of the kids.



Yesterday was so funny... The kids and I were hanging out in the plaza where there are lots of rose bushes. The kids went and picked tons of roses and kept bringing them to me until my arms were full of them! Angela came out of the church and saw and she told the kids to not pick anymore (they aren´t allowed whoops). So were walking back to the mission from the plaza and suddenly Abby says very loudly getting their attention, "Look it's the police!" We were passing a couple officers... Joas immediately threw his jacket over my arms full of roses. While staring at them, they began to talk very loudly and nervously about how the police were going to come after us. They were hanging onto my arms making roses drop out beneath the jacket... I was laughing so hard! It was such a scene, everybody on the street was looking at us. Very embarassing but very funny. I'm glad the officers thought it was funny too.

Cute boys & roses ..ahh, life in South America ;)

Abby braiding my hair



More empanadas!



No more cheesy smiles! We had some lessons and Joas finally learned out to make a silly face....


Hanging out with the girlies!



:)


Angela and I are planning on catching the bus today at 5 to go to San Josecito, but since it's been raining, the bus might not be going because the roads may be a mess. Our plan is to get to San Josecito tonight and leave early tomorrow morning from there to hike to Las Abras. Tomorrow we would hold a kids meeting, a night service for the whole village, and another kids meeting Sunday morning. We would hike back Sunday afternoon and spend the night in San Josecito. They asked me to share Sunday night with the church on loving one another. Angela will translate. Please pray for me. Then Monday morning we'll catch the bus back to ER. Hopefully we'll be able to go. Were both anxious to go since we've been in Entre Rios for a little while... If it doesn't work out this weekend we'll go next!
Ok, well I´m off to make some banana bread to bring with us this weekend. I have found out that I love cooking!
Love, Julia

P.S. I'm praying for you Friday night evang team!

6 comments:

Virginia Knowles said...

Well, I'm glad the raincoat and zip locks and pillowcases have been helpful to you! Mama knows best!

Janelle Morrison said...

Few things:

1. You're gorgeous.
2. Mom's always know what to pack.
3. LOVE hearing what you're doing there.
4. You're preaching on Sunday?! =)

Rachel said...

YES! - bringing the best banana bread to all corners of the world :) Quite the domesticita...haha..I just made that up.

Rayna said...

Yum empanadas! :)Praying for you girl!

Unknown said...

Aww, I love your pic of Joas with the rose.

Rachel said...

Oh, and I can totally imagine you behind the camera laughing really loud at Joas' silly face!

Musica


My Blog List