Monday, March 30, 2009

*Behold, I am making all things new* :) Revelation 21

We got back late last night from our third time to Las Abras. :)
"The pleasure of travelling *****" (five star!)

Driver taking a quick nap before leaving
To get to San Jocesito you have to take two buses. Our first bus left us off at the stop and after waiting an hour the second bus finally came except it was packed full. We couldn't stay there all night seeing it was just Angela and I, so we had to resort to getting in the back of this thing (below) for the remaining two hour trip... :)

There were about 15 of us back there. The truck started off and all of us slid to the other side. I'm a very vocal person and I laugh really loud when I'm nervous but I didn't want to embarrass Angela so I tried to act like it was an everyday commute, nothing scary about the back tires going a little off the side of the mountain!!!! We got there fine :) Beautiful view crossing the bridge early in the morning. This is at Abuela's house. She is the grandmother and greatgrandmother to most of the kids in Las Abras. She's catching one of her chickens here for our lunch.

We had a kids meeting Saturday afternoon and that night we had one for the adults. Sunday morning we had a meeting for both. I shared Saturday night the message I gave in San Josecito on loving others, including your enemies. In Las Abras, families are always fighting with each other. Someone's pigs got into someone's corn, someone stole someone's chicken.... It's hard for the adults to grow there because they do not know how to read and can't read the Bible.
The kids love the puppets!! They don't know yet that it's actually us. Angela does an amazing job!! Playing in the field after the kids meeting Santiego's grandson. He's 7 but so small! He has no teeth either but is the cutest kid ever!

Here he is after crossing a stream with us..his pants all rolled up :)

They feed you good in the country! After a bowl of chicken soup, a plate of rice, potatoes and spicy chicken, they gave us each a huge piece of watermellon. Amazing!!

Aleida :)
Rosie!!

I was thinking about three months ago when we first went to Las Abras and how things have changed since then. My first time there I tried to shelter myself so much. I would inspect the kids' heads for lice before picking them up. I would scan the grass before sitting down making sure there were no spiders. I would look at their hands, hesitating before holding them because they had warts on them. Most of the kids have scabies. I would wince when a mother handed me her baby that didn't have a diaper because a lot of the kids have worms there. I was very fearful. Yes, there is wisdom in being careful with such things but it was hindering me so much! A little kid falls and cries so you want to rock them, you can't worry about their lice. To become their friends and share Jesus with them you have to play with them, hold their hands, kiss them, show them affection. So you just pray!! Lord, please protect me from all this things!! :)
We have been to Las Abras three times, and I have learned so much and enjoyed each time. Hiking makes you think a lot. This hike back I was thinking a lot about heaven. Mainly because each time I go to Las Abras I am so affected by Santiego (the man who has one arm and who has a crippled leg).


I always break down when I see him worshiping with his one arm. There are a lot of disabled people in Las Abras. "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain any more, for the former things have passed away" Revelation 21:4. One day, Santiego will have no pain. :) He will be able to worship with both hands! To think of all those who are blind, what a sight they will see! Those who are mute or deaf! Think about it for a minute...it's overwhelming to think of them entering heaven!! I hope I can stand at the gate and watch people enter. I came back and read notes from one of Spurgeon's sermons on suffering... Be encouraged!!

No Tears in Heaven
August 6th, 1865
C. H. Spurgeon(1834-1892)

"The night is dark, but the morning comes. Over the hills of darkness the day breaks forth. It may be that the road is rough, but its end is almost in view, you have been climbing up the steep sides of the mountain, and from the top of it you can view your glorious inheritance. True the grave is still before you, but your Lord has snatched the sting from death, and the victory from the grave. Do not, O burdened spirit, limit yourself to the confining miseries of the present hour, but let your eye gaze with fondness on the enjoyment of the past, and view with equal love the infinite blessings of eternity past, when you did not exist, but when God chose you for himself, and wrote your name in his book of life; and then let your glance flash forward to eternity future, to see the mercies which will be yours even here on earth, and the glories which are stored up for you beyond the skies."

Love Spurgeon! Have a wonderful week!
Love, Julia

1 comment:

Steph said...

Jules, wow. I JUST found your blog today. I had heard you were keeping a blog but kept forgetting to look for it.
This is SUCH an encouragement to be able to see the faces of the children you're working with, to hear how God has changed your heart in letting go of the 'comforts and cautions' we Americans hold onto so tightly, to hear how SEEING these people causes your gaze to be lifted upward, and your thoughts to be focused on Heaven. Julia, what you are doing is SO God-honoring and God-glorifying, and others-focused. =) I miss you and look forward to being able to read more of your blog!
Love ya!

Musica


My Blog List