Wednesday, February 18, 2009

English classes, basketball, pigs, and pictures...

Hey everyone! My first English class was Monday night and it went very well! Anytime you have two different languages trying to communicate you have a lot of fun. The students are all around 14-17 years old and have had English classes with Angela for several years. In their past classes Angela let them pick an "American" name to be called during class. They were all asking me for ideas and I named all my friends so a lot of them are named after you! I will have that class every Monday & Thursday night we are here. I'm also teaching a class to Guido, Maci and Raquel. Our first one was this morning and it was a lot of fun. We will have that every morning everyone is available. The last several days we have been resting and just hanging out.

Last night and Monday night, Andreas, Angela, Uba (Ubalita!) & Sebastian (Abby & Joas´s parents), Miguel & I played basketball. It´s so nice to actually feel like an amazing basketball player. haha. :) We're going to play Friday night as well.

Last night I got to see Aleida! The first time I came to Entre Rios (2005) I met her and ever since we have kept in contact through e-mail. We saw her when we were here in 2007 as well. I am so glad I was able to see her! She is studying (Pre Med) in Sucre and had a couple weeks off so she is here visiting her family.

We have no traveling plans for at least a week. Pepe and several others are traveling to La Paz for a retreat so we staying here. The next week will consist of English classes, cooking, church meetings, visiting people, making lemonade probably ...;) Since I have time this week, I'm going to post pictures and share a little about each village we have gone to.
Here are some pictures of Entre Rios to help you get a better picture of where I´m living and who I get to spend my time with!....Enjoy!





Pepe (Pastor), Raquel and kids (Alita, Hani, Gabe, and Saphi)

Guido (Pastor), Macedonia (*Maci*) and baby Matias (5 months)

The church


Looking up at the mission from the basketball court

beautiful Saphie :)


Saturday, everyone here at the mission went to La Vilca, a beautiful village about an hour & a half away. The pastor (Tim Matayo) and his family invited us over because they had killed one of their pigs and were going to have a roast. This is a big occasion (kind of like a Thanksgiving) that only happens once or twice a year. When I heard a pig roast I was thinking of a little pig on a stick over a fire...maybe with some pineapple.. ya know? haha. jk about the pineapple...but I was a little sad because I've always wanted to be a Charlotte and take care of a little pig. Well the little pig was HUGE! Here are some pictures...

Not so adorable and I´m glad I saw this *after* I ate lunch :)



Pepe was teasing Andreas "which one are you?"....they do look a little alike here lol.


Church in La Vilca

Sitting waiting for the food to be ready....

Marcos! (Tim Matayo´s son)

I'm off to lunch...

Miss you all so much! Love, Julia

3 comments:

Jencks said...

Post some pictures of you too!

Love and miss you!

Aunt Sue said...

I definitely think you should give a BIG warning for the light of stomach before posting those pigs pics. This pregnant woman almost lost her cookies! I love that picture of Saphie (sp?) And Marcos on the bottom has such an infectious smile. May God be with you these last weeks.

Unknown said...

Jules I'm praying for you!

Basketball in Bolivia...doesn't get much better than that:-)

Musica


My Blog List