Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hola. Hola. Hola!

Hola! Hola! Hola!

It´s very hot here right now! We went to the river yesterday for about 4 hours. Beautiful! The currents were really strong and we got caught a couple times. Interesting scary fun time! :)

The constitution passed (I heard 60-40 percent) Who knows how long till things start changing. Could be a year, could be right away. Bolivia is very unorganized so they are not sure. Everyone at the mission has a lot of faith about the situation. It's encouraging to see how they are trusting God even though they are unsure of what is ahead. I'm reading Trusting God byJerry Bridges right now and am learning that trusting is just as important as obeying. "Yet it is just as important to trust God as it is to obey Him. When we disobey God we defy His authority and despise His holiness. When we fail to trust God we doubt His sovereignty and question His goodness. In both cases we cast aspersions upon His majesty and His character. God views our distrust of Him as seriously as He views our disobedience." Please continue to pray for this change in Bolivia!

Kids Camp during afternoon games.

Aww


I have been praying for vision for this trip and areas I can serve while here. God answers prayers! Angela just asked me to teach an English class to about 10 students (13-17 years old) Class will be twice a week and start next Tuesday. I´m really excited. It will help me learn Spanish and I will get to know the youth better. Everyone wants to learn English here. They also asked me to play the keyboard for the church service. I'm a little rusty (haha) but they don´t expect much. They only have Guido leading worship on the guitar right now. They have a real desire for the church to grow in worship! They would love to see the congregation more involved. They want it to be more than going through the songs.
This is Joas. :)

Sunday afternoon we went to the river to swim. I come outside to find the front seat of the Land Rover empty. They want me to sit up front so I can take over driving if I need to. If I need to?? Come to find out Guido doesn´t know how to drive. He´s only driven once and doesn't really have his license (shh ;). I'm not sure how many of you know the roads here but there isn't a lot of room mistakes!! Unfortunately (!) I don´t know how to drive stick so I couldn't help. It made for a hysterical drive to and from the river. We stalled numerous times, almost ran over several cows, and took about 15 minutes to figure out why several warning lights came on. We almost reversed too far off the side. I could only laugh but I was so scared. Mom and Dad, I am totally fine and safe here! ;)

Lovely little bug that I woke up to the other day!! (not funny)

Everyone at the mission cooks lunch once a week for everyone. They asked me to cook today so I made calzones. It's very different cooking here! We went to the market to get all the ingredients. We went to the butcher shop, the cheese stand, and the fruit and vegetable market. A trip to the market is not complete without talking to everyone you know. After about an hour and a half we got back to the mission. The calzones turned out great! Everyone liked them. Thanks Lydia for the recipe!! **By the way, my sister Lydia made this blog for me. Isn't she awesome! It's really nice to have a way to let you guys know what's going on over here. And it's so nice to hear from you! Thanks for the comments!** What I didn't know was that the word calzone is very close to the word underwear in Spanish. They were getting confused. I was trying to explain that it is full of different ingredients. So until Angela explained, they thought we were having underwear full of ingredients?!...

Tomorrow morning we are going to Potreillos, a village 6 hours away by bus. There are six of us going. We will be putting on a Vacation Bible School for the kids. We'll be gone till Saturday. It will be challenging. No electricity, no bathrooms, no clean water. Please pray for the kids hearing the gospel through puppets, Bible stories and crafts!
Miss you all and hope you are doing well!
Love, Julia

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

JULIA! I miss you my friend! I will be praying for you as you continue on this amazing journey God has allowed you to go on! Thanks for keeping us posted! Love ya! :-D ~Cassie

cegrogan said...

Julia, Your story about the calzones had me laughing for a long time. I just loved it. Your rough conditins remind me of my Army days. I guess you are in a better Army...."The Lord's Army"....remember singing that song when you were little. Who would have guessed you were singing a prophecy over yourself!!!!! Bless you and keep smiling!

Lydia said...

That's really funny about the calzones. I'm glad they turned out okay.

Your pictures are niiiiiice.

I'll pray for you and the kids in Potreillos.

Virginia Knowles said...

Oh, Julia! Be careful!

I'm glad the calzone turned out so well. The story about the underwear reminds me of Scottish haggis, which is a whole bunch of ingredients stuffed into a sheep's stomach and cooked up -- honest! It's the Scottish national dish. I had a chance to try some once in when I was in Glasgow, but declined...

Unknown said...

Julia, we miss you!! I can tell from your posts that you are growing by leaps and bounds as you follow God faithfully! Stay safe and don't eat any underwear. ;)

lawrence said...

Jules!!!!! You're playing keys for worship? That's awesome! :) and your calzones are getting famous I love it ;) stay safe!

Jake

Rayna said...

Julia!
Oh my goodness, I cannot tell you how excited I am that you are in Bolivia! What a joy to be back there,(I'm a little jealous) and for so long! Your heart amazes me! I love looking at the pictures (I miss that beautiful beautiful place!) and hearing stories. :)
I'm praying for you lots and for Bolivia as the Constitution changes.
Thank you for being there and for being selfless and having a heart and attitude full of the Love of Christ!
My heart kind of jumped thinking about having to drive a car around there. :-0 It was an adventure just being a passenger! But I'm glad to hear that you're safe and didn't have to do that!

Love you and praying for you often!

Tammy said...

Hi Julia,

Wow! Sounds like things are going well there in Bolivia! Thanks for keeping us updated. Praying for you and I love that you are advancing the gospel!

Joanna said...

Wow.
I miss you, Julia!
I'm praying for you.

Cheers,
Joanna <3

p.s. Nice story about the calzones. hahaha

Musica


My Blog List